Maya Angelou said, “If you’re going to live, leave a legacy. Make a mark on the world that can’t be erased.” For nine years, we have looked to recognize those people in healthcare and life sciences who are making a mark on our industry, on patients, on colleagues, on the world. These people represent our ELITE 100: the individuals and teams who throughout their careers are building legacies marked by helping people live better—and hopefully longer—lives. It’s the reason why so many join our industry in the first place, and these people are making that happen.
These legacies are being built at various points in our winners’ careers in roles that span the industry. From CEOs to product managers, tech geniuses to environmental warriors, serial entrepreneurs to a mother who started a philanthropic organization to help patients like her son, the 2023 ELITE 100 features the full gamut of people in the life sciences who are making a real difference across all aspects of healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and diagnostics.
At the top of this year’s list is our Uber ELITE winner Tom McCourt, CEO, Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, who has left an undeniable mark within the gastrointestinal space for the past 35 years. He has worked on game-changing brands including Prilosec, Nexium, Zelnorm, and LINZESS—plus, he isn’t nearly done.
In fact, it’s probably safe to say that none of the ELITE individuals and teams you can read about below are done growing their legacies. So, see what they have done so far and keep an eye on what they will do next.
The ELITE Awards honors people in the following 19 categories:
- Creative Directors: Marketers known for their daring creative and jealousy-inducing campaigns.
- Data Miners: Individuals who specialize in analytics and can turn hordes of numbers and research into actionable insight.
- Digital Crusaders: Those who advance digital channel applications or platforms to transform marketing and/or company operations.
- Disrupters: Fearless individuals who disrupt the status quo to revolutionize the industry.
- Entrepreneurs: Visionary risk-takers who develop new companies to answer unmet needs.
- Environmental Champions: Individuals or teams who are leading environmental or sustainability efforts within their organization or even outside of their day jobs.
- Launch Experts: Marketers with significant success in bringing a new drug to market or in revitalizing markets for an older drug.
- Leaders of the Future: Up-and-comers who display the characteristics of an emerging leader.
- Marketing Teams: Teams that have achieved great marketing success together as a group.
- Master Educators: People who revolutionize the way patients/doctors learn and absorb information.
- Mentors: The role models others aspire to emulate.
- Patient Advocates: Those who make sure patients’ voices are heard and needs are met.
- Philanthropic Heroes: Anyone doing charity work or philanthropic endeavors that are helping individuals, communities, or the world at large.
- PR Gurus: Communication experts who are masters at spreading news and good publicity.
- Sales MVPs: Company sales leaders who do an outstanding job of building revenue and nurturing company growth.
- Strategists: People with a sixth sense for what works—and the ability to predict what the industry needs to do to remain relevant.
- Talent Acquisition Leaders: The industry’s top job recruiters and HR executives.
- Tech-Know Geeks: Innovators who spearhead technological breakthroughs that reshape the industry.
- Transformational Leaders: People who change the way companies operate.