RANCHO CORDOVA, Calif., Aug. 02, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Cesca Therapeutics Inc. (NASDAQ:KOOL), an autologous cell-based regenerative medicine company, today announced that data for its proprietary technology was published in the Herald Scholarly Open Access (HSOA) Journal of Stem Cells Research, Development and Therapy, which is available online at http://ow.ly/ZFzM300Yt1m.
Results from the Indian study titled, “Enhancement of Atrophic Non-Union Fracture Healing Using Autologous Progenitor Cell-Rich Bone Marrow,” were obtained from 17 patients treated with bone marrow concentrate (BMC) for non-union fractures. Non-union has been described as a failure of the fracture to heal within six to nine months. Most non-union fractures require open surgery to realign the fragments into their normal anatomical position and to stabilize the fracture with hardware. An alternative approach uses the patients’ own bone marrow concentrate in order to stimulate bone regeneration and healing of the fracture. In the study, the bone marrow aspirate was processed at the point of care (surgical suite) with Cesca Therapeutics’ proprietary technology for bone marrow concentration.
Of the 17 patients treated with BMC for non-union fracture, 14 displayed signs of bone regeneration and healing of the fracture. Furthermore, no adverse reactions were observed during or after the procedure. The use of bone marrow concentrate can be administered at the point-of-care in a single sitting, which minimizes the patient’s exposure to infection.
Dr. Venkatesh Ponemone, the Study Director and Executive Director of TotipotentRX Corporation, a subsidiary of Cesca Therapeutics Inc., commented, “With up to 10% of all fractures resulting in non-union healing, there is a significant burden to patients and high costs. Cell therapy using bone marrow concentrate represents a promising new method for treating atrophic non-union fractures in patients with a history of failed primary surgical intervention. We are encouraged by these results and look forward to making this method routinely available.”
About Cesca Therapeutics Inc.
Cesca Therapeutics Inc. (www.cescatherapeutics.com) is engaged in the research, development, and commercialization of cellular therapies and delivery systems for use in regenerative medicine. The Company is a leader in the development and manufacture of automated blood and bone marrow processing systems that enable the separation, processing and preservation of cell and tissue therapeutics. These include:
- The SurgWerks™ System (in development) – a proprietary system comprised of the SurgWerks Processing Platform, including devices and analytics, and indication-specific SurgWerks Procedure Kits for use in regenerative stem cell therapy at the point-of-care for vascular and orthopedic diseases.
- The CellWerks™ System (in development) – a proprietary cell processing system with associated analytics for intra-laboratory preparation of adult stem cells from bone marrow or blood.
- The AutoXpress® System (AXP®) – a proprietary automated device and companion sterile disposable for concentrating hematopoietic stem cells from cord blood.
- The MarrowXpress™ System (MXP™) – a derivative product of the AXP and its accompanying sterile disposable for the isolation and concentration of hematopoietic stem cells from bone marrow.
- The BioArchive® System – an automated cryogenic device used by cord blood banks for the cryopreservation and storage of cord blood stem cell concentrate for future use.
- Manual bag sets for use in the processing and cryogenic storage of cord blood.
Forward-Looking Statements and Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995
This press release includes statements of future expectations and other forward-looking statements within the meaning of the “safe harbor” provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based on management’s current views and assumptions, speak only as of the date hereof and are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as “may,” “could,” “potential,” “continue,” and similar expressions and include, but are not limited to, statements regarding research and product commercialization. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results, performance or events to differ materially and adversely from those expressed or implied in such statements. A more complete description of risks that could cause actual events to differ from the outcomes predicted by these forward-looking statements is set forth under the caption “Risk Factors” in our Annual Report on Form 10-K, in our Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, and in other reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time, and you should consider each of those factors when evaluating the forward-looking statements. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statements for any reason, except as required by law.
CONTACT: Company Contact: Cesca Therapeutics Inc. email@example.com Investor Contact: The Ruth Group Lee Roth / Tram Bui 646-536-7012 / 7035 firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com