Dr. William J. Gradishar picks the upcoming ASCO presentations he anticipates to be the most interesting in breast cancer research.
• LBA500 Primary results, NRG Oncology/NSABP B-35: A clinical trial of anastrozole (A) versus tamoxifen (tam) in postmenopausal patients with DCIS undergoing lumpectomy plus radiotherapy.
• 501 Phase III trial evaluating the addition of bevacizumab to letrozole as first-line endocrine therapy for treatment of hormone-receptor positive advanced breast cancer: CALGB 40503 (Alliance).
• LBA502 l PALOMA3: A double-blind, phase III trial of fulvestrant with or without palbociclib in pre- and post-menopausal women with hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer that progressed on prior endocrine therapy.
• 503 Phase III trial of bisphosphonates as adjuvant therapy in primary breast cancer: SWOG/Alliance/ECOG-ACRIN/NCIC Clinical Trials Group/NRG Oncology study S0307.
• 504 Adjuvant denosumab in breast cancer: Results from 3,425 postmenopausal patients of the ABCSG-18 trial.
• 507 Phase III, randomized study of trastuzumab emtansine (T-DM1) ± pertuzumab (P) vs trastuzumab + taxane (HT) for first-line treatment of HER2-positive MBC: Primary results from the MARIANNE study.
• 508 Neratinib after adjuvant chemotherapy and trastuzumab in HER2-positive early breast cancer: Primary analysis at 2 years of a phase III, randomized, placebo-controlled trial (ExteNET).
• 1003 Results from a phase II study of enzalutamide (ENZA), an androgen receptor (AR) inhibitor, in advanced AR+ triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC).
• 1004 Prediction of pathological complete response (pCR) by Homologous Recombination Deficiency (HRD) after carboplatin-containing neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with TNBC: Results from GeparSixto.
• 520 Efficacy of the PARP inhibitor (PI) ABT-888 (veliparib [vel]) either with carboplatin (carb) or as a single agent followed by post-progression therapy in combination with carb in patients (pts) with BRCA1- or BRCA2- (BRCA)-associated metastatic breast cancer (MBC).
• 521 DNA repair deficiency biomarkers and identification of ER-positive breast cancer patients who may benefit from veliparib/carboplatin: Results from the I-SPY 2 trial.
• 1015 A phase I study of veliparib (ABT-888) in combination with weekly carboplatin and paclitaxel in advanced solid malignancies and enriched for triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC).
• 1018 Combined Homologous Recombination Deficiency (HRD) scores and response to neoadjuvant platinum-based chemotherapy in triple-negative and/or BRCA1/2 mutation-associated breast cancer.
Dr. Gradishar is the Betsy Bramsen Professor of Breast Oncology at Northwestern University, Chicago.