Aptevo Therapeutics Amends Collaboration Agreement with MorphoSys AG for Novel Immunotherapeutic, MOR209/ES414

SEATTLE, Dec. 15, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Aptevo Therapeutics Inc. (Nasdaq:APVO) a biotechnology company focused on developing novel oncology and hematology therapeutics, today announced that it has amended the terms of its collaboration agreement with MorphoSys AG, originally executed in August 2014, for the joint worldwide development and commercialization of MOR209/ES414, a novel bispecific immuno-oncology therapeutic currently being evaluated in a Phase 1 clinical study for the treatment of metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC.)

Aptevo and MorphoSys agreed to modify their collaboration agreement to, among other things, adjust the allocation of certain manufacturing and development costs and extend MorphoSys’ convenience termination rights.  Under the amendment, the timeframe for a one-time right to terminate the collaboration agreement by MorphoSys has been extended from December 31, 2016 to June 30, 2017, or after review of clinical data from the first 6 patients enrolled and dosed in the MOR209/ES414 Phase I clinical trial.  In addition, the companies have agreed that Aptevo will be responsible for 75% of the development costs of the program through June 30, 2017 with MorphoSys responsible for the remaining 25%, after which time the cost-sharing ratio shifts to 49% for Aptevo and 51% for MorphoSys through 2018, and subsequently 36% for Aptevo and 64% for MorphoSys in 2019 and thereafter.

“Bispecific antibodies represent an emerging new class of protein therapeutics that holds promise as an important new immunotherapeutic approach to cancer treatment,” commented Marvin L. White, President and Chief Executive Officer of Aptevo.  “We are pleased to have the opportunity to collaborate with MorphoSys on the development of MOR209/ES414 and look forward to the results of the ongoing Phase I dose escalation study.”

About Aptevo Therapeutics Inc.
Aptevo Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company focused on novel oncology and hematology therapeutics to meaningfully improve patients’ lives. Our core technology is the ADAPTIR™ (modular protein technology) platform. Aptevo has four commercial products in the areas of hematology and infectious diseases, as well as various investigational stage product candidates in immuno-oncology.

Safe Harbor Statement
This press release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Any statements, other than statements of historical fact, including, without limitation, statements regarding the potential opportunities, our technology and related pipeline, collaboration and partnership opportunities and their financial implications and any other statements containing the words “believes,” “expects,” “anticipates,” “intends,” “plans,” “forecasts,” “estimates,” “will” and similar expressions are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on Aptevo’s current intentions, beliefs and expectations regarding future events. Aptevo cannot guarantee that any forward-looking statement will be accurate. Investors should realize that if underlying assumptions prove inaccurate or unknown risks or uncertainties materialize, actual results could differ materially from Aptevo’s expectations. Investors are, therefore, cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statement. Any forward-looking statement speaks only as of the date of this press release, and, except as required by law, Aptevo does not undertake to update any forward-looking statement to reflect new information, events or circumstances.

There are a number of important factors that could cause our actual results to differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements, including possible negative effects on our business operations, assets or financial results as a result of the separation; a deterioration in our business or prospects; adverse developments in our customer-base or markets; adverse developments in the U.S. or global capital markets, credit markets or economies generally; and changes in regulatory, social and political conditions. Additional risks and factors that may affect results are set forth in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including Aptevo’s most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q, as filed on November 14, 2016. The foregoing sets forth many, but not all, of the factors that could cause actual results to differ from our expectations in any forward-looking statement.

CONTACT: Contact: 
Stacey Jurchison
Senior Director, Investor Relations and Corporate Communications